Sunday 21 December 2014

This alarm clock wakes you up with a freshly brewed coffee or tea

coffee-alarm
Image: Josh Renouf Design
Meet the Barisieur, an invention by Joshua Renouf, a product design graduate from Nottingham Trent University in the UK. Before you go to bed, you can set it to brew your tea or coffee five to 30 minutes before or after the alarm goes off, and the next morning the machine will get to work.
It works with a little glass flask, that's filled with water and a handful of stainless steel ball bearings, sitting on some electrical elements. Renouf explains how it works at Fullscream:
"The reason I [used ball bearings] was because I wanted to come up with a safe way of boiling the water. I didn’t want the pad to get hot, so I researched induction heating. Induction heating, I’m sure you know, does not make the surface hot, it creates an electomagnetic field which conducts the ferrous material above. 
However, I did not want to expose the metal as this would get hot and might not be safe round the user, therefore I wanted to contain the element. After much experimenting it occurred that stainless steel ball bearings (yes they conduct) acted well, and actually created a nice natural alarm once the water boiled. I thought I could work with this! So I did."
coffee-works
Image: Josh Renouf Design
Once the water comes to a boil, it starts to evaporate, and the resulting steam creates enough pressure to move the boiling water up through a glass tube and down through a connected stainless steel filter containing ground coffee or tea leaves. It will drip down through the filter and end up in a cup below.
The milk is sealed in the alarm by a rubber stopper and stored away from the warmth so it doesn't go bad. "I incorporated a fan which runs simultaneously next to the induction heating element to give an extra cool temperature," Renouf says.
But what about the sugar, you ask? No problem. It’s contained in a little tray under the filter.
Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the future.
Source: FullScream

No comments:

Post a Comment